Wednesday 8 August 2012

Day 221: Olympic Fever


Olympic fever... well, maybe it's more just a slight temperature. I haven't really been too into the Olympics this year.

Tonight I watched a bit of the 49er class sailing and while I was sitting on the couch watching the Aussies float about in their 'Already won Gold but have to make it look like we're trying' final race, I thought I'd cheat a little and take a photo.

I tried to get a good shot of the 'Gennaker' which is a term I hadn't heard before the commentators mentioned it. It obviously a mixture of the words 'Genoa' and 'Spinnaker' and toe me the sail itself looks to be more of a loose, collapsable Genoa because a Spinnaker is a big sail for heading down wind that has a pole attached to the outer corner to help hold its shape, it also collapses like the Gennaker does. A Genoa is usually pulled in tighter when in use furled around the front mast stay when it's not in use, Mum would be able to tell me if I'm theorising correctly on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment